Monday, June 25, 2018 9:25:59 AM

Bath Bombs sticking to mold, but not sticking together...

2 years ago
#28 Quote
Hi all,

I'm having some major frustrations getting my new bath bomb press to work.

Originally I used the recipe for my manual (plastic halves) mold which was:
* 500g BiCarb Soda
* 250g Citric Acid
* 100g Epsom Salts
* 50g Cornflour (also called Cornstarch depending on where you are)
* 50g Cream of Tartar
* 60g Oil
* 20g Fragrance
*** I never needed witch hazel with this recipe, always stuck ok as is ***

I managed to get these to stick together about 50% of the time with the press, but they all flattened out within half an hour. Then I just couldn't get them to stick together at all.

After emailing Lee with my troubles, tonight I went back to the basics with just:
* 500g BiCarb
* 250g Citric
* 20g Fragrance
* Oil I tried 40g, 60g, 75g, and 100g. Everything up until the 100g mark was too dry and didn't even hold together when I squeezed it (and yup, tried witch hazel as well).

Once I reached the 100g oil, the mixture felt perfect. Was holding together when squeezed, could use the manual molds not a problem. But the machine just would not co-operate.

Main problems:
- 2 Halves just refuse to stick together.
- I end up with half stuck to the bottom, half stuck to the top, AND a ring stuck in the cylinder part.

The mixture is compacted hard. All three pieces require a bit of pushing to get them out.
I've tried making sure I have the mixture firm when I fill it, not firm, to just sprinkling in.
Doesn't seem to matter what I do, I am ending up with 3 sections.

I am wiping the molds, and even washed them completely (just used normal dishwashing water)

What am I doing wrong?
2 years ago
#29 Quote
If you are finding that bombs are not sticking together in a batch, try to sift back in about 2 tablespoons of baking soda (small handful) and mix it again and then press.

Also, try lowering the piston down and leaving it for about 10 to 15 seconds and then raise it up.

I found that testing other customer's recipes, that using the cornstarch/corn flour will not hold the bombs together.  Please try omitting this as well.

Lee
2 years ago
#30 Quote
Hi,

At first, I had great difficulty with my BathBombPress. The two parties do not want to stick together...

I finally found a recipe that works well.
2 parts baking soda
1 part citric acid
1 part of epsom salt
fragrance or essential oil

I do not put vegetable oil, no cornstarch and no witch hazel water.

I mix my baking soda with citric acid and I add the fragrance.

In another bowl, I mix Epsom salt with water (about 5 ml for 4 bombs of 165g). I let it sit for about 6 minutes. Then I added to my baking soda mixing. I knead well for a few minutes. I then allowed to stand for about 2 minutes.

I hope that's help you!
2 years ago
#31 Quote
mcsavard13@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,

At first, I had great difficulty with my BathBombPress. The two parties do not want to stick together...

I finally found a recipe that works well.
2 parts baking soda
1 part citric acid
1 part of epsom salt
fragrance or essential oil

I do not put vegetable oil, no cornstarch and no witch hazel water.

I mix my baking soda with citric acid and I add the fragrance.

In another bowl, I mix Epsom salt with water (about 5 ml for 4 bombs of 165g). I let it sit for about 6 minutes. Then I added to my baking soda mixing. I knead well for a few minutes. I then allowed to stand for about 2 minutes.

I hope that's help you!

Hi Marie!

Thanks for posting this.  This will definitely help other folks as well!
Lee
one year ago
#47 Quote
Hello all, I have always had problems with bath bombs breaking in half in molds. Manual molds, all kinds. Now I have the same trouble with my fantastic new bath bomb press. I am in Memphis, TN where the indoor humidity is high, always greater than 50%.

My raw materials are in 50 pound bags stored indoors. Maybe they are absorbing moisture.

Today I tried a dozen formulae, and none worked.I added water, witch hazel, no water, different oils, SLSA, corn starch, and more.

I even broke it down to just 2 parts bicarb and 1 part citric (fine grained), and progressively added small amounts of almond oil, trying to mold each. At no point did I get a mixture that would not break in the mold.

Can anyone help me regain me lost sanity?

one year ago
#48 Quote
We can send you some tips by email. I think you will need to use a dehumifier. Also you may need to change the brand of your ingredients.
Lee
5 months ago
#119 Quote
Please help! I have never had this problem before. I have been using the recipe that came with my press and it typically works great for me. For 3 days straight I have been trying to finish 6 medium bath bombs to complete a large order and everytime they are sticking to the mold in 3 parts-top, middle ring and bottom. I tried a slightly different recipe that was posted on this forum and still the same result. What am I doing wrong! I live in Georgia and I run a dehumidifier in my shop all the time at 40% humidity. Thanks in advance!
5 months ago
#120 Quote
rebekahc30 wrote:
Please help! I have never had this problem before. I have been using the recipe that came with my press and it typically works great for me. For 3 days straight I have been trying to finish 6 medium bath bombs to complete a large order and everytime they are sticking to the mold in 3 parts-top, middle ring and bottom. I tried a slightly different recipe that was posted on this forum and still the same result. What am I doing wrong! I live in Georgia and I run a dehumidifier in my shop all the time at 40% humidity. Thanks in advance!

Could you send us an email and I can assist you further?
Lee